Friday, January 2, 2009

In Support of Large Families

I have had the opportunity to make many new friends during this move to Florida.
Among them is an Irish girl from Dublin and she is culturally so like me it is not funny. In other words she and I share the same humor.
Anyone who has traveled to another country will understand that statement.
Humor is the one thing that, unlike music, that sometimes gets lost once it crosses borders.
Anyway we were talking about the current statistics in Ireland with every home only having 0.8 children, which means only one household in 8 has a child. This is very different from the 1950’s when there were 8 children to every household!
It has really become of critical concern in Ireland (and Japan) now.
Anyway where am I going with this thought?

I had the opportunity travel home to Ohio December 6th and spend time with my lovely children, be treated like royalty and feel like the gracious
queen and rejoice in the news of new babies to come.
Eli, growing into a lovely little man, was baptized,
Lizzy renewed her plea to visit the beach,
Bella assured me that she would come too and
Anna just loved being a princess and fairy.
When I came home I had the opportunity to spend Sunday evening with
Donna and Stephen and their ever increasing family; with new
babies on the way, Ruby and Rosie playing imaginary games,
Lillie grinning from ear to ear...
and Simone loudly voicing
her opinion in very definite “baby-talk”.
The boys and Stephen had gone fishing and they, the children, came over to cook the catch and serve supper and enjoy the fruits of their labors.
What a joy and how rich are our blessings to have grown up daughters
and sons with families of their own.
I say, bring it on. The Lord knew what he was doing when he said
“Multiply and replenish the earth…”
SO HAPPY NEW YEAR TO
ALL THIS BIG FAMILY OF MINE!

4 comments:

Dee said...

this is #5 Shelley

Well my darling HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HIP, HIP, HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!

Yes big families are wonderfull, to belong to and to have. I have never ever wished for anything less even throuhgout all the difficult times I have experience with being a single parent or a middle child in the centre of that large family.

All my love to you Di, Shellen-ellen

Rachel Brown said...

Mom,
so good to read what you have been up to. i think it is exciting that you are taking a pottery class and getting your own nails back.

i always loved being part of a large family.

love you.

Dee said...

sorry to trouble you with correction but .8 children means that for every 10 families there are eight children some families will have none and others will vary in size.

Dinah said...

Thanks Dee...I was concentrating on praising our big family, I just did not think too much about the real math of 0.8. It is wonderful that the teacher in you has put me straight.