Sunday, June 15, 2008

Be careful what you wish for!

Friday, the day of the temple wedding was wonderful. We had sun, so much so that we wished we could have a little less so that we were not squinting in all the photos. Well, be careful what you wish for....

Saturday it blew, it stomed, it rained in sheets, it drowned Nancy and Greg Graf's garden that we were having the reception in, it drowned the road that Ben was trying to reach us on and made it impossible for him to get through that way, it blocked the sun and raged on and on all day so that at 2:00 in the afternoon we panicked and thought to move the reception to the nearest "big chapel" about an hour away, but logistically that would have been impossible. So we moved it to our local "little chapel" With over 70 to 80 guests, it was standing room only and very little room to put your plate down or visit with others, but our friends did not seem to mind, they came one and all. We were calling all over the place, telling them of the move and the brothers and sisters in our little branch came through and helped set up last minute ideas for decorations and tables in the hall and prepare food endlessly and generally step in and take over the whole thing and make it be a real "love fest". Derick was so funny and said no matter what, meaning because we started late, he was leaving at 8:00 because they were going to Mertyl Beach, an east coast beach area, for their honeymoon and he was leaving dead on 8:00, and by golly he did, whooping and hollering all the way out of the parking lot.

Thank goodness for my sisters, both in the branch and my own. I was so thankful to have Sharon there, she truely came through and kept me sane. Her humor and ability to pitch right in was just what I cherish about having a sister. We did not have a lot of time together when Sharon was growing up and I keep hoping to have more time with her to sit or do things with each other, and one of these days we will just do that without weddings or graduations or kids birthdays or whatever, and we will just pick up where we left off and talk and talk and talk. She counselled the kids - Sariah, going off to Brigham Young and Ariana, going off on her honeymoon and she did it with humor and that good old Aussie wink. I did not wish for rain, but how else would we have gotten all those lovely nonmember friends into our chapel...it worked out great! AND I could not have wished for a better sister. Thank you so much Sharon. I love you dearly............di

2 comments:

Dee said...

from Shelley #5
WoW, are we not the luckiest sisters! I remember Dee's reception held at Chrissy's home. christina probably could have done without the hassle BUT Dee's day was all the more special because of the support from my loved ones.
As for going to Ireland, it sounds like the movie 'An Affair to Remember'. I would meet you anywhere I don't care so long as we can cuddle up like old times when you came in from a date freezing and whispered 'Shell, Shell move over I'm frozen.' and in you would climb and put you ice-block feet on my legs. Wish, wish, wish I miss you guys lots and with all this bloggy blogging I feel you and ours are just around the corner and not across the sea. Talk more later.

Anonymous said...

thanks di...i love you too...gotta go find a box of tissues! :)